Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Baby T's Raavan story used to go like...

Ek Raavan tha...

Utha ke le gaya kisko?
Sita mata ko.
Phir Hanuman ji gaye helicopter mei
aur Sita mata ko bacha ke le gaye...
Phir crackers, tha! tha! diwali!

(Once upon a time there was Ravana who took Sita away. 
Then Hanuman went and rescued Sita. 
Then fireworks and the festival of Diwali happened!)

While I was there, it became something like..

Ek Raavan tha...
Utha ke le gaya kisko?
Hanuman ji ko.
Phir Sita mata gayi helicopter mei
aur Hanuman ji aur Raavan ji ke saath rehne lagi :)

(Once upon a time there was Ravana who took Hanuman away.
Then Sita went and joined Hanuman and Ravana, and lived happily ever after :))


My version is not sexist and non-violent. But the poor guy just got really confused and couldn't recollect the original version. This story in the first place is courtesy my mom. I completely disagree with teaching such a young child about religious texts and hymns that he doesn't understand, but I also know that the only way he can be close to my parents (his grandparents) is by accepting their religious beliefs, which are a big part of them. Anyway, I still do not approve of the toddler learning of violent acts, even if they were performed by the "good" to destroy "evil". Why tell him that the way to deal with "evil" is through violence. How is Bush's war against terror any different? Why not teach him Gandhi's theory of non-violence? Why not teach him to be patient, and understanding especially towards those who think/believe differently? This is the root of it all - of fundamentalism, communal hatred, and global terrorism. The idea of one good and one bad - me good, and you bad. 

Thankfully my sis has told my mother to not tell him stories that contain violence - he's fucking 18 months old for god's sake! Unfortunately this sane request came not out of my disapproval and reasoning with my mother (who is very sensitive about her religious home schooling of her grandchild), but because the smart ass Baby T picked up a gada-like musical instrument that I got from Pondicherry and started hitting his toys with it like Hanuman ji! How crazy is that!?!

The point of this whole story is that I still don't have any say in my household, and will continue to be disrespected and shunned until I stand up on my own feet and create my own new household - until then, Jai Shri Ram is what my dear nephew will chant. And he is also a real cheeky little thing. Obviously he doesn't care about any ram or sita crap. He does it because he loves music of all kinds, and musical instruments, and singing. And also because at his age he has understood what my sister and I still haven't - that faking blind belief in my parents' god will make them happy - as simple as that.

I should really get a life - its still snowing. I wonder if i'll even get out of the house today. Canada will have to wait for another day.

P.S. - My first publication will be titled - 'Living with Fundamentalist Parents - a memoir (1985 to 2007)'

6 comments:

RaisingT said...

Thanks god you wrote something about T.. have been wanting to write about his latest activities forever.. Now i will just link this up :)
oh.. and you got the story a little wrong .. Ravana took Sita in a helicopter... thats why he thinks ravana is the coolest...

RaisingT said...

and we do care about you and your point of view... you know I do...

nostalgic chica said...

haha - i'm such a retard when it comes to ramayan and mahabharat - and its not like mom's version with the helicopter is any more accurate.

poor T :)

nostalgic chica said...

i just realized that according to my story its hanuman who uses the helicopter for a convenient ride to get to sita and not really to save her or anything - hahahaha - this would make hanuman the cool guy - and then in my new interpretation of it, sita gets to fly the helicopter - how cool is that?!? and maybe in the end they can all fly to goa for a nice holiday - T would love that!

Piper .. said...

You know, its almost weird, how similar our moms are in some ways! :) But with lil Ishaan, she`s had to concede - cos all the lil one is interested in doing is to shove aside all the idols by his new plastic bat and everytime mom tries to narrate some religious story or something, he puts his hands up and sings 'om shanti om' from the movie!! Its hilarious! :)

nostalgic chica said...

LOL! that's so cute! and i feel much better knowing that it's not just my mom who does this :)