Friday, February 20, 2009

Just because I am up till 4:23 AM, I decided to let you in on my happening life.


Well, if you ask me, I am substantially happy these days.

Don't know what caused it.

Definitely my film has a lot to do with it. 

You know, I have realized that my true happiness - the kind where I really jump with real, tangible joy - is work related. Maybe that has to do with having a workaholic father. Or a mother who believes in 'karma is dharma' or something like that. Or a sister who wants to do it all, and never gives up.

About my mother, maybe I didn't say it right, but come to think of it, she shows her faith in her god by doing work, like actual physical work, in the religious organization that she is involved with. 

Doesn't it seem strange to see me write like this - like all thoughtful and reflective? Well, that's been a recent attempt of mine to go back to my roots, by which I simply mean spending more time thinking and wondering about the meaning of life and everything around me, like I used to when I was younger. I was a gem when I was young. I really was. And I knew it. Now I'm just old and grumpy. Constantly fighting my cynicism. Full of shit. And I know it. 

Coming back to my point of this post. I actually wanted to explain why I don't write anymore. It's because I have a different account for my blog for which I have to sign up with nostalgicchica@gmail.com That is also where you email me if you are overflowing with love or hate for me and too shy to tell me so in public. Anyway, so you know how annoying it is to have to sign out from your regular gmail account and then sign in again when you are done blogging. You could say I'm lazy. I would say I'm just not motivated enough to go through all this trouble. 

So here's the funny thing that I had to tell you. Maybe I should change my blog's name to NC's mom tales. Anyway, so my mom turned 53 yesterday. The sweet kid that I am, I ordered a basket of flowers and fruits online four days before her birthday. What else could I have done four days before her birthday? E-greetings wouldn't have worked. And I didn't want to write a mushy card, and I don't know how to write anything else. So I found this website designed to entice Indians living abroad to send gifts to their loved ones back home. They seemed pretty genuine, and affordable. They even have a midnight surprise option wherein, yes, they surprise your loved one at midnight - you genius! So anyway, I order this thing and try hard to keep it to myself, feeling all excited about surprising my mom. I talk to her and wish her in the morning. She doesn't mention being surprised. I talk to my sis and tell her to let me know if and when mom gets her surprise. I talk to my mom later in the day. She does mention the surprise. Gets all emotional and starts out saying something about loving the flowers but mid sentence changes the noun into a 'you'. Understandable, being emotionally dysfunctional and all. Then she says something priceless in her very unique style - you know like she wants to be sweet but just cannot be dishonest - she says, "the flowers are all dead - they really look like they've come from America". How does one respond to this?!

4 comments:

RaisingT said...

I'm so glad you are happy... isn't our mom priceless... how can we enjoy something truely without the pinch of salt she adds :)

Anonymous said...

yup - she sure is something - and you know we're going to eventually turn into her, don't you?

Piper .. said...

:) I couldnt help laughing. I guess all moms are the same! :) Happy bday to your Mom! And yeaaaaahhhhh!! You`re back!

nostalgic chica said...

Thanks Piper! I guess I am back :)